Cilantro-Buttermilk Marinated “Man-Pleaser” Flank Steak
Jake says that this dish and the Spice Rubbed “Man-Pleaser” Pork Chop are his two favorite meals. When I made this steak I made way too much on purpose and Jake ate every last bight.
The man at the Whole Foods meat counter asked what I was making and when I told him he said, “You are going to want leftovers of that. Let’s give you some extra steak.” He gave me a ton of meat and we didn’t have leftovers!
Make this one for your dad, boyfriend, brother, husband and save the extra sauce. We used it later in the week when I made the pork chops. It’s delish. Enjoy!
- 2 Cups of Low-Fat Buttermilk (Whole Foods has a great one.)
- 10 or so Green Onions, greens chopped, use about 1/2 of the whites
- 1/2 teaspoon All Spice
- 1 teaspoon Cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Curry Powder
- 1 Cup or so of cilantro leaves, no need to chop since we are putting everything in a blender. The more you use the better. Don’t hold back.
- 2 pounds of Flank Steak
- Olive Oil, for the grill pan
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- In a blender, combine green onions, all spice, cumin, curry powder, cilantro leaves, buttermilk and a pinch of salt and pepper. Puree. Reserve 1/2 of the marinade for dipping sauce. Pour half of the remaining sauce into a shallow baking dish.
- Season the steaks with salt and pepper. Arrange the steaks in a single layer in the baking dish. Cover with the rest of the marinade. Refrigerate for at least an hour, but longer is better. Flip the steaks after an hour and put back in the fridge for another hour. If you have more time you should marinate them all day. The longer you can marinate them the more flavor they retain. I marinated Jake’s steak all day, flipping after about 5 hours or so. You could do it overnight too.
- Heat your grill or large pan to medium high. Add the olive oil. Remove your steaks from the marinade and season with a little more pepper. Grill steaks 3-4 minutes per side for medium rare.
- Transfer to a cutting board and let the steaks rest for 5 minutes or so before cutting. Slice the steak and serve with the reserved marinade as a dipping sauce.
- Get ready to impress your men! I served this with Grilled Zuchinni on the grill pan. Simply slice the Zuchinni lengthwise in 1/2 inch strips, toss with salt, pepper and olive oil. Grill each side about 2 minutes. Super easy.